Camping Sites

Home Forums EuroTour2014: Oslo to Berlin Camping Sites

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Jimm 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Jimm
    Keymaster

From Per’s post on Facebook:
    Hi Euro Tour 2014 Folks
    I have done a little more research about camping sites, and I have come up with the following list.
    If anybody has suggestions for other camping sites please post them.
    I would be glad to make a first attempt for a route between the camping sites, but I will not do that before we can agree about the camping sites. So please take a look at the list.

Camping sites.

Day 1: Oslo – Camping Olberg: N 59.68942 E 11.29249 ca. 60km

Day 2: Edsviks Camping: N 58º 42′ 42.39″ E 11º 14′ 7.24″
    http://edsvik.nordiccamping.se/

Day 3: Göteborg: Lisebergs Camping Askim Strand
    http://www.camping.se/sv/campingar/3229/Lisebergs-Camping-Askim-Strand/

Day 4: Halmstad Hagons Camping
    http://www.camping.se/sv/campingar/2840/Hagons-Camping/

Day 5: Copenhagen Bellahoj Camping: N 55° 42.011 E 12° 30.660
    http://www.bellahoj-camping.dk/ukpladsen.htm

Day 6: Rostock Camp. & Ferienpark Markgrafenheide: N 54°11’39” E 12°9’20”
    http://www.campingcard.co.uk/gb/en/europe/germany/mecklenburg-western-pomerania/campsite-camp.-%26-ferienpark-markgrafenheide-102579/

Day 7: campingplads-am-ziernsee: N 53°12’32” E 13°4’23”
    http://www.eurocampings.dk/da/europa/tyskland/mecklenburg-vorpommern/campingplads-am-ziernsee-109515/

Day 8: City Camp 2: N 52° 23′ 59.98″ E 13° 10′ 47.01″
    http://www.berlin-camping.com/directions-berlin.html

• my ride: 2011 Steintrike Nomad Sport with Leitra Wildcat velomobile fairing.
    • my other ride: 2004 Anthrotech Trike converted to a 4-wheeled cycletaxi

Pfriemler
    Participant

I just tried to put my tent (Rejka Antao III, which I’m using with the upright-bicyle) into my Leitra. Unfortunately it’s too big, so that there’s no space left for other things. 🙁
    So it seems, that I’ve got to buy a second tent for the tour.
    I’m thinking about a small, one-person-tent with enough height to sit in, affordable and lightweight.
    I found the Robens (danish make, afaik) Starlight 1/Starlight 2 (ca. 160€).
    Is anybody experienced with this tent or make? Or is there a better suggestion, regarding the price-range?

Thanks!
    Alex

Jimm
    Keymaster

I think it is important to go as light as possible when doing long tours via velomobile. On the Euro Tour 2013, C.G. and I think a couple of other Leitra riders just used a ground tarp/insulation pad, and a sleeping bag underneath, then used the Leitra nose – detached from the body and sitting on the ground – as the ‘tent’. Perhaps they used a small tarp for the exposed area to create an enclosed space. It’s certainly big enough to sit up in, so that might be an option for you.

My personal plan is to take a hammock with a rain cover for the bad weather days, and sleep under the stars (probably under my Leitra Wildcat fairing) in the good weather, using a ground tarp and iso-pad under my sleeping blanket.

I am surprised your Antao does not fit! You must be taking too many other things. 🙂

Bjorn Lunde
    Participant

I bought a new tent for the Eurotour2014. The tent I used for Eurotour2013 was a two person MSR Hubba Hubba. This is a good tent, but bigger than nessesery and 2100 gr. The new tent is Big Agnes Fishhook UL-1 takes less space and is only 1410 grams on my electronic scale. Bjørn
    http://www.campsaver.com/fishhook-ul-1-tent-1-person-3-season

Pfriemler
    Participant

I saw C.G.’s way of camping at the 2013 Eurotour as I visited the folks on a campsite at the river Mosel (originally I wanted to join them for a while, but my Leitra went out of order, but that`s another story…).

I take a deep bow to all of them (especially C.G.!) doing that kind of light camping! But I prefer some little luxury while on tour. 🙂

Attached you see my bike “fully dressed” for a tour (and no, there is no coffee-maker on board 😉 )The tent (a 3-person-tent, because it was meant not only for bike-travelling as I bought it) fits completely in the bag, without the packing sack. Maybe it will fit without the packing sack in the Leitra’s compartment too, but I’d prefer stowing it in a seperate bag (or place) so that the moisture and dirt won`t be attached to other equipment.

@Bjoern: Thanks for the hint! Actually I’m thinking about the Decathlon QuickHiker Ultralight II.

It seeams to be very affordable for a tent with a weight about 2 kg, and that`s a thing which makes me suspicious.

Alex

Jimm
    Keymaster

Christoph appears to be having trouble submitting posts to the forum, so he sent me this via email:

“Hi Jimm,
    although I tried to I could not write a comment regarding the campsite topic. After I had logged myself in the campsite topic was nowhere to be found.
    My idea was to check if it would not be more convenient to sleep in hotels every night. This would reduce the baggage enormously and would be a rise in comfort, e.g. every participant could have his/her own shower in the evenings and would furthermore have a quiet room compared to a probably noisy campsite.
    In my case it would even mean that I would not have to buy costly lightweight stuff to sleep in.
    Maybe you could post this idea under the right topic (and give me some advice on how to answer to the campsite topic directly).
    Greets, Christoph.”

Jimm
    Keymaster

I think the biggest detriment to Christoph’s idea is cost. One of the big points of this tour (and the last one) is being self-sufficient. In fact, the original EuroTour 2013 fell apart due to the over-complexities of trying to arrange more amenities and organize road support with a follower-truck.

Camping reduces costs per person, is easier to organize, and brings the group a bit closer together during the tour.

With that said, I don’t think anyone here would say that you are not allowed to sleep in a hotel nearby if you can afford it and arrange it yourself. More power to you! 🙂 It would just be up to you to keep up with us during the ride.

Pfriemler
    Participant

I’m really impressed by Per’s work! For the campground at day 7 (starting from Rostock) I’d like to make a suggestion:

Staying at Camping Havelberge (http://www.haveltourist.de/index.php?id=8&L=1) near Neu-Strehlitz instead of Campingplatz am Ziernsee will shorten the length of the tour for that day from approx. 157 km to approx. 130 km (but on the other side will stretch the next day from approx. 89 km to approx. 116 km). Maybe that’s a more comfortable length.

I’ve been at the campground Havelberge some years ago. It’ s a nice campground with tent-campsites near the lake, so that we don’t have to use the steep road that leads to the sites for the caravans. And the campground has a nice restaurant with enough space for a group like us 🙂

Just another idea: As we’re travelling in high-season and are an impressive big group: Shouldn’t we make a reservation on the campgrounds as soon as we know surely which we will use?

chris123
    Participant

Hi Jimm, please be so kind to remove my name out of your post from March 5.
    Regarding the campsites I would like to know if there is a possibility to rent a hut or a trailer or whatever on the listed campsites.
    You are of course right insofar as it does not make sense to book into a nearby hotel whilst everybody else is on the campsite.
    But I would appreciate to rent a trailer or something alike to save costs and to gain on sound sleep, comfort and speed.

Because I will have to buy all the necessary camping equipment, e.g. a tent, a sleeping bag, a matress. Those I do have are much too heavy for the trip.

Light material costs app. about 900-1,000 €. For this amount of money I could easily rent myself into a star-rated hotel.
    For only a percentage of that money I could rent a hut or a trailer at a campsite.
    This would exclude the necessity of transporting the camping equipment and thus raise my average speed.
    And it would be a gain in comforts (sound sleep, own shower, a bed et cetera) and in funds.
    Greets, Christoph.

Jimm
    Keymaster

Hi Jimm, please be so kind to remove my name out of your post from March 5.

Would you please explain why? Because your request is confusing when you close your last post with “Greets, Christoph.” 🙂

I would, with humor, disagree on your claim of 900-1000€ for 7-8 nights in a star-rated hotel. While it is true that 3-star hotels can be had for about 80-100 Euros a night, if you want to stay under 1000 Euros you might have to skip food some days. 🙂

Where-as a decent one person tent (anywhere from 100-500 Euros), an air mattress (20-50 euros), a pillow, a blanket, and some bed sheets (the later items you can provide for free) are significantly cheaper.

I do agree, however, that a hotel or cabin will be much more comfortable and be a huge weight savings that would get passed along as faster travel times and less body fatigue. No argument there!

Since there is no real organizer/host for this event and we all basically fend for ourselves (other than a general agreement/suggestion on places to stop for the evening, or meet for meals and journalism opportunities), you are more than welcome to contact each of the planned campsite stops and see if there are cabins/trailers available for over-night use. Or look for hotels nearby, if that is your preference. I think in many cases there are websites for each campsite that shows what services they have. As I said, no-one is going to complain if you prepare your own sleeping arrangements.

Perhaps other riders in the group have thought of the same thing, and have information they can share?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The forum ‘EuroTour2014: Oslo to Berlin’ is closed to new topics and replies.