First day arrival details in Oslo

Home Forums EuroTour2014: Oslo to Berlin First day arrival details in Oslo

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Jimm 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Velostrada
    Participant

Hello,
    It would be great to get the location of the meeting point, it’s a very important question Christoph we are more who would like to know this.
    Regards Søren /Velostrada

Jimm
    Keymaster

I think that since many will come by Ferry from Copenhagen, just outside the ferry terminal could be a good starting point, as shown in Per’s route map suggestion: http://www.arcgis.com/apps/OnePane/basicviewer/index.html?appid=c69c177effb94916b616fbe33da56206

Or maybe everyone makes their way to the Oslo Rådhus, which is just west of the ferry terminal. That could be a good starting point for touring the city a bit as we head to the first camping spot. http://goo.gl/Iwq2Yr puts us right between the Rådhus and the waterfront.

• my ride: 2011 Steintrike Nomad Sport with Leitra Wildcat velomobile fairing.
    • my other ride: 2004 Anthrotech Trike converted to a 4-wheeled cycletaxi

John Highet
    Participant

I’m looking forward to this year’s Eurotour after enjoying the 2013 one immensely. My latest Quest XS seems to be going well and so far this this year I’ve pedalled about 5000km and climbed about 40,000 meters (some of that on my Brompton)
    http://ridewithgps.com/users/79776
    I shall be riding all the way to the start (apart from the two ferry crossings of course!) via Hoek, Dronten, and the entire length of Denmark. I’ve just downloaded per’s GPX files for the route (Thanks Per!) and am now mulling over which tyres to put on the Quest to avoid any punctures whilst not making the machine any heavier than it already is (probably the heaviest Carbon Quest XS in the world!)

Bring on July!

See you all then-

John Highet aka “Warekiwi”

chris123
    Participant

Hi everybody. Considering Jimm´s suggestions I vote for meeting in front of the city hall. It might be less crowded and easier to find. Not everybody is on the ferry from Copenhagen. Most of the German riders for example will be on the ferry from Kiel which may or may not make port at a different terminal. Furthermore I suppose it might be easier to get some food and drink in the vicinity of the town hall rather than outside the ferry terminal.
    Greets, Chris.

Jimm
    Keymaster

Agreed, Chris. That space between the town hall and the waterfront should be more than spacious for our large collection of velomobiles. When I was there last year, there was some construction and a stage setup for a concert, but I think there was still plenty of room to move around. I would suggest trying to start at the space directly in front of the city hall/Rådhus, facing the water. If it’s blocked or filled with stuff, then we move towards the waterfront, between the two docks and the water fountain in the middle of the square. Whoever arrives first can look over the area and pick something that will fit us all.

Regarding the time – I guess it will depend on the Ferry arrivals. Or we can just say “in front of the waterfront fountain at 12:00 (mid-day)” ??? Wait an hour for late arrivals, perhaps? During that wait, those present can discuss places of interest to see that also take us out of the city and into the direction of the first camping site. I remember Oslo having lots of little rolling hills everywhere, so we might not be interested in going *too* far away from the waterfront on the first day. Anyone else will just have to fend for themselves and make their way to the campsite.

And (if you view the map from above) there are lots of little cafes and shops to the east along the waterfront including a little shopping center.

What do you all think?

chris123
    Participant

Hi Jimm,
    the waterfountain seems to be the best place then. Easy to find and not easy to miss. I do not recall for the moment at which time our ferry is supposed to enter port but it should be somewhen around 10 a.m. Considering this and the unloading procedure in which the velomobiles might end up to be the last to disembark and considering the short ride to the fountain we could end up getting there after 12.00 a.m. Just in case that this unlikely event should occur it might come in handy to have y
    your cell phone number available. Since you know my addy please mail me your phone number. I will vice versa send you mine then. And to everybody else who wants to participate in exchanging phone numbers I suggest to mail them to Jimm. He could then collect those numbers and forward them to all the other participants.
    That way everybody should eventually have everybody else´s numbers which might be of practical use during the tour in cases of emergencies, accidents and mechanical problems. Would you be willing to forward the numbers, Jimm?
    Greets, Christoph

Jimm
    Keymaster

It is possible I may not join the tour until Goteborg or Copenhagen, but you are welcome to send me phone numbers and I can forward a ‘master list’ to the rest of the group via email. You can send them to jimm.pratt@gmail.com or recumbent.adventure@gmail.com. Please put “Oslo Tour phone list” in the email subject.

Edit: my mobile phone is (+45 for Denmark) 51 42 34 59

Pfriemler
    Participant

I agree, the fountain`s surely the best place to meet.

Here`s the route from the Color-Line-terminal for those arriving via Kiel:

https://goo.gl/maps/iVqhP

I`m looking foreward for both, the tour and meeting all of you!

Regards
    Alex

Jimm
    Keymaster

So far only John, Alexander (“Pfriemler”), and Christoph have shared numbers with me. I’m assuming the rest will share upon arrival in Oslo? Keep in mind this is not mandatory, but useful info in case someone gets in trouble, or really lost.

Jimm
    Keymaster

contact list update: I will post (via email to all participating riders) a limited-exposure Google Docs link to the contact list closer to the time of the tour (around 20th-22nd of July) for people to copy/download. After the tour starts, I’ll remove it from view to prevent any possible abuse.

chris123
    Participant

That is a very good idea. Thank you, Jimm.

Jimm
    Keymaster

sending the list now to all people that emailed me. up to you to share the info with others in the group.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The forum ‘EuroTour2014: Oslo to Berlin’ is closed to new topics and replies.