General

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 14 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Eric Willms 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Pfriemler
    Participant

A question to the experienced:
    How do you manage orientation?
    Old fashioned with paper-maps or with gps-systems?
    And when gps-sytems which devices are best and how long does the batterypower last?

Regards
    Alex

Velostrada
    Participant

I use GPS, a Garmin 800. It has a battery life of 15 hours, so there is enough power for several days. It can be turned off during pauses and resumes from same place
    A bike GPS is expensive, so if you have a newer phone, you can simply buy a navigation app with maps. You only use the GPS on the phone, not the network.

Navigation with Google can be used, but it can get expensive when abroad, when to use internet / telephone connection to their navigation, however, by using Maps (Google) and GPS in the phone / tablet / iPad, to see where you are, without network

As back-up, you can have paper maps, but when you have more, it is usually not necessary. I do not use paper maps anymore, since they usually disappear 🙂

/Soren http://www.velostrada.dk

Pfriemler
    Participant

Thanks Soren!

I presume that my smartphone (my first one, I confess) will leave me alone after several hours because lack of power. But I have to test that, surely. I recently installed oruxmaps (with osm-maps) which can navigate offline.

So far by now I used paper maps on my bicycle tours (i.e. here), but they where well provided with signs of themed bicylce-paths 😉

Regards
    Alex

Jimm
    Keymaster

In past tours, I used a basic overview map of the route, with a list of turns (“after 15 km, turn left onto Route 3”).

Nowadays I just use my mobile phone’s GPS with either Google Maps, or (since it’s an Android phone) OSMAND – Open Street Maps for Android. It allows me to download maps and some points of interest to the device for offline use. I believe I can use GPX route files or other pre-recorded route file formats too, but haven’t tried that feature out yet.

I only start up the map program when I’m not sure about the direction I need to go. And I usually try to time those needs with a drink break, so that I’m not wasting time waiting for the application to start up and find my position with the GPS. Doing this, I can usually run a tour segment (8 hours) without running out of battery juice.

During tours where I need to navigate quite a lot through a city, I use a 12V Solar Charger mounted to the nose and hooked to a 5V USB car cigarette-adapter plug, to help the phone last a lot longer.

my old Leitratech velomobile with solar charger on the nose

• my ride: 2011 Steintrike Nomad Sport with Leitra Wildcat velomobile fairing.
    • my other ride: 2004 Anthrotech Trike converted to a 4-wheeled cycletaxi

Pfriemler
    Participant

That solar-charger’s a great idea! Especially in midsommar. 🙂

Because of my Leitra’s an e-bike I have to charge the battery every night, so I need electricity on the campside. So I’m thinking about using a “powerbank” (small rechargeable battery for i.e. smartphones). Maybe I can manage to charge the phone via the e-bike-battery. I’m going to test that.

Jimm
    Keymaster

From my own touring experience, as well as those who did the EuroTour 2013 plan-B, there should be no problem charging batteries at campsites each night. There *might* be an additional fee for using the electricity.

Bjorn Lunde
    Participant

Are there any plans to visit Velomobilcenter before we reach Copenhagen? The main reason I ask about this is that I hope to see and sit inside the new Strada DF. I am thinking about ordering one for the spring 2015, but I am probably to big with my 187 cm. The only way to find out is testing. There are not any Velomobile center in Norway yet so I like to use the opportunity.

Jimm
    Keymaster
    Halfdan writes (because Jimm broke his post when moving it): “Bjorn Lunde: You can not fit in the new Strada DF! I have been told that it actually starteded as a Strada XS, eg a extra small Strada (like the Quest), and the size for fitting in the Quest XS is below 1,87 m.
    But the new Strada DF loos SO great :-)”

Jimm
    Keymaster

Are there any plans to visit Velomobilcenter before we reach Copenhagen? The main reason I ask about this is that I hope to see and sit inside the new Strada DF.

Currently I know of no fixed plans to visit the Velomobilcenter in Ganløse (it’s actually west of the camping area, which is about halfway between Ganløse and the city center), but I don’t see a reason why you can’t go out there to visit. It is about an hour’s ride away (or less) cycling, from the currently proposed camping area. Could be a nice place to relax and unwind with a beer, if you choose not to do that at the campsite, or in the city. Just depends on how long it takes to *get* to the Copenhagen stop point from Sweden.

If you would like to visit, I would recommend writing them to tell them you are coming, and organize an appointment for a test ride or test fitting of the velomobile of choice – bear in mind that there is a setup fee if you want to ride (they take the time to adjust the ride to you).

Jimm
    Keymaster

The Leitra workshop in Herlev is also nearby. I would guess that C.G. would not mind showing people the new location (he was formerly in Ganløse). Perhaps if there are major repairs needed, that would be the time to do them, while in Copenhagen.

John Highet
    Participant

I have tried many different Android GPS mapping “apps” and have recently been a Beta-tester for the new app from Ridewithgps.com. I’ve been using it on a Mororola Moto-G phone (Android KitKat) and IMHO it is one of the best apps of it’s type out there. As of last week it is available on Google Play and is free! On a number of accasion I have used it in parallel with my Garmin Montana and the resultant data is virtually identical. Unlike other GPS apps it seems not to overload the battery and the phone will run happily for an entire day in recording mode.If you register on the website it can automatically download in “realtime” either by cell data or Wifi so that any person with your codes can watch your progress (optional).

Jimm
    Keymaster

Agreed! I’ve been tinkering with that new App, too. It does appear to use considerably less battery juice than my other current favorite, MapMyRide+

Thomas
    Participant

How do you manage orientation?
    Old fashioned with paper-maps or with gps-systems?

Hi Pfriemler,
    I use Garmin Etrex20. I have it for years. It has AA-Batteries that function about 3days. Internal and external cards can save all maps for a big journey.
    Seldom I use the routing-function. I prefer tracks I made on my home-PC before.

Pfriemler
    Participant

Hi Pfriemler,<br>
    I use Garmin Etrex20. I have it for years. It has AA-Batteries that function about 3days. Internal and external cards can save all maps for a big journey.<br>
    Seldom I use the routing-function. I prefer tracks I made on my home-PC before.

Hi Thomas,

thanks for your info! I recently bought a Garmin Etrex30, and I`m going to get familiar with it in the next weeks.
    At the first glance I´m very impressed by it`s features. I´m using openstreet-maps and gpsies.com (for creating tracks) and that seems to work fine. But I used only known tracks by now.

Greetings
    Alex

Eric Willms
    Participant

Hi,

regarding the navigation topic, I have made very good experience with Navigon on my ways. The advantage of Navigon is the variety of possible use for cars, bicycles and pedestrians. The different modes works really well.

Regards
    Eric

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The forum ‘EuroTour2014: Oslo to Berlin’ is closed to new topics and replies.