Stop at Dortmund

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Peter from Eastwestfalia Peter from Eastwestfalia 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of cgrasmussen
    cgrasmussen

We will make a stop in Dortmund on April 19.-20.
    Siggi Schiemann, living Püttlingenstr. 24 in Dortmund has invited us to camp in his garden. The route proposed by Marco looks good. Let us stay away from the
    busy car traffic as much as possible.

Profile photo of Marco Gercke
    Marco Gercke
    Participant

Hallo,
    Oerlinghausen to Dortmund is an easy trip, i think. We could follow the Römer-Lippe-Route starting from Oerlinghausen to Detmold or Lippspringe. We either could take the route itself or drive on country roads near by. The next day will be a fairly longer distance. I would not prefer passing the Bergisches Land, south of Dortmund, but to go westward to Duisburg and then as i described earlier to follow the Rhine cycle path on the eastern side of the Rhine.
    Greetings
    Marco

Profile photo of Jimm
    Jimm
    Keymaster

I am also biased against going south of Dortmund through the western edge of those mountains/hills. My past rides to SPEZI via the Rhine have often been Bremen – Cloppenburg – Lingen and then follow Route 31 to Dusseldorf, thereby avoiding as much hilly terrain as possible.

But that’s just me, and certainly willing to follow the group this time around to see what it’s like.

If we follow the Rhine, I concur about doing the eastern route – the first time I did the western route in 2009, I encountered several unpaved sections with annoying gradients towards the river.

• my ride: 2011 Steintrike Nomad Sport with Leitra Wildcat velomobile fairing.
    • my other ride: 2004 Anthrotech Trike converted to a 4-wheeled cycletaxi

Just calculating the distances from Dortmund to Germersheim:
    Dortmund – Rüsselsheim about 320 km in 2 days
    Rüsselsheim – Germersheim about 100 km
    That may be an exercise. And we have to think about the many training aides between Dortmund and Bonn called traffic lights (mostly red) …
    CU in Bielefeld at least for a cup of coffee before I join you on the last km to Oerlinghausen and on to Germersheim …

Peter

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.