Proposed Route

Discussion area for the Oslo to Berlin route, scheduled for July 25th, 2014.

This topic contains 27 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Jimm 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author

Jimm
    Keymaster

Here is C.G.’s original route idea, posted from Facebook:

“Here the route plan for Euro Tour 2014 Oslo – Berlin, a Velomobile Tour from North to South through 4 European countries.

Start in Oslo on Friday July 25th at noon time.

Participants from Central Europe will probably arrive in Oslo with ferry, either with Color Line from Kiel or DFDS from Copenhagen.

Day 1. Sight seeing in Oslo and ride to Lilleström for camping ……… 25 km
    Day 2. Lilleström -Mysen- Halden -Naverstad ………………………….. 155 km
    Day 3. Naverstad -Uddevalla -Trollhättan – Göteborg ……………….. 150 km
    Day 4. Göteborg – Varberg -Halmstad …………………………………. 160 km
    Day 5. Halmstad -Ängelholm -Helsinborg – Helsingör -Copenhagen . 125 km
    Day 6. Copenhagen – Vordingborg -Gedser – Rostock ………………… 160 km
    Day 7. Rostock -Waren -Fürstenberg ……………………………………. 145 km
    Day 8. Fürstenberg – Oranienburg – Berlin ……………………………… 85 km

Total 1005 km”

• This topic was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by  Jimm. Reason: spelling fix
    • This topic was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by  Jimm.
    • my ride: 2011 Steintrike Nomad Sport with Leitra Wildcat velomobile fairing.
    • my other ride: 2004 Anthrotech Trike converted to a 4-wheeled cycletaxi

Jimm
    Keymaster

Pulled from another of Per’s posts in Facebook: the route file!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by  Jimm.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by  Jimm. Reason: added manual link for download. still working on user-based upload system for the forum
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by  Jimm. Reason: switched to GD bbPress Attachments plugin for downloads management
    Attachments:
    1. Oslo_Berlin.zip

Anonymous

Hello to all,
    I have a question about the last day; the distance to the campingsite is only about 90km (to City Camp 2) . Does that mean that we drive around in Berlin as a group that day? I would like to see Checkpoint-Charly and the Brandenburger Tor for example. If we don’t drive around as a group, then I will do that by my self the next day, but my holiday is going to be a day longer then. And that’s the reason I ask, because after Berlin, I have to reserve another three campsites.
    Regards, Edwin.

I have made a little route viewer, showing the gpx tracks and the camping sites. You can change the Basemap in the top off the app, and you can get information about the camping sites by clicking on them.
    All camping sites and routes are done by me, and have not been discussed. I think we all would appreciate when we are driving, that I am not the only person who has been looking at the route. Some off you guys have to look through the gpx file, just to remove some off my mistakes.
    Perhaps some of you can find better camping sites or suggest another and better route.
    http://www.arcgis.com/apps/OnePane/basicviewer/index.html?appid=c69c177effb94916b616fbe33da56206
    -Per

Velostrada
    Participant

Great overview, Per. I have studied it route section through Norway and Sweden are fortunately more flat on this route than it was for SBS 2013 so that more velomobile suitable 🙂

The campsites I can only see from what would you think they write, but they’re ok. The link to Bellahoj camping may be a little outdated, so you are in doubt about it still exist

/Velostrada http://www.velostrada.dk

Yuri Gavryliuk
    Participant

I’m leaving a comment here just to say that I’ve seen the route & sites and found no technical issues with them. I’ve never been along the route, so I can’t comment on any real-world aspects of it.

Anonymous

Maybe this camping could be an alternative for Bellahoj? http://www.eurocampings.net/nl/europa/denemarken/seeland/dcu-absalon-copenhagen-camp-101991/
    It is 7km to the southwest of Bellahoj
    I have seen the route a couple of times now, mostly in Google Earth (including Streetview), and it looks oké to me. I assume that we are allowed to drive on the highway (E6) in Norway? Don’t try to drive with your velomobile on the highway in Holland 🙂

Anonymous

Moorsauser
    Participant

I am wondering if the route will be so suitable, that we, even with the Milan not having much ground clearance will be able to drive it. I have heard that last time especially the MIlan Drivers had much difficulties……..

Has anyone gone this route or part of it before ?

Kind regards,
    agnes / Moorsauser

Velostrada
    Participant

It is excellent roads, I drove almost the same route (Norway, Sweden) last year in SBS 2013. There are good asphalt, and in several places it is possible to take advantage of Milan and for that matter other velomobiles speed potiential. In Denmark it`s also ok
    The German piece, I have not run (Rostock-Berlin) but it had to be a popular and widely used bike route, so also expect that things are good there
    Last year it was Belgium that was the biggest problem, and it was not just for Milan.

/Søren Velostrada
    http://www.velostrada.dk

Jimm
    Keymaster

On the Copenhagen to Vordingborg segment, the section between Copenhagen and Køge will have many round-a-bouts/traffic circles. The transitions between road and cycle road should be taken with some care and make your intentions clear for motor vehicles. There will be a few long rolling hills between Køge and Vordingborg, but not something to be afraid of. Just patience and good spin technique. After crossing the bridge in Vordingborg, the route should be pretty much flat all the way to the ferry in Gedser. Any time lost in the rolling hills and traffic circles can be made up after Vordingborg.

Pfriemler
    Participant

Looking at the sattelite-image it seems that there is a shortcut on the way from the ferry-terminal to the campground in Rostock.

Just take a look at the yellow line with the red stripes at the attachment, what do you think?

Velostrada
    Participant

Hello Pfriemler and the rest of you.

The route that Per has made ​​is not necessary to follow slavishly. There may occur “detours” where “short cuts” on the map or GPS seems more sensible to take instead of the one shown. You will especially find it in towns where you might be led in “detours” and past “sights” you might not want to see, as most route planners will find the most common bike route.

Remember the route is made ​​in a “program” added algorithms .. it has never cycled 🙂

/Søren Velostrada
    http://www.velostrada.dk

cgrasmussen

Dear fellow riders Oslo -Berlin

In order to get a favourable price, it is recommended to book the ferry to Oslo early.
    Those taking the DFDS ferry from Copenhagen can book on tel. +45.33423000.
    I just booked for 4 people + 4 velomobiles, departure on July 24th, 4 pm. Price per person: Euro 74.
    C G

Attachments:

cgrasmussen

Of the 4 Places booked on DFDS to Oslo, two Places are occupied by Per Kristensen and Carl Georg Rasmussen.
    If you are interested in one of the two vacant places, please confirm with a note here.
    C G

Halfdan
    Participant

Just to inform others, I have e-mailed with cgrasmussen and occupied a place for me on the Copenhagen-Oslo ferry, so now there are only one place vacant.
    //Halfdan

Eric Willms
    Participant

Hello,

I have booked my connection now.
    I have rented a van on Saturday, 26.07.. From Hertz, free kilometers, with ADAC discount for 250 €, return on the same day in the evening in Kiel.
    At 6.45 p.m. I will take the ferry to Gothenburg and arrive there on Sunday at 9.30 a.m.. If the plan does not change, we will meet each other in the evening at the campsite Gothenburg: Lisebergs Camping Askim beach.
    I have also rented a van from Berlin to Cologne for the same price. I plan to go back on Saturday, 08.02..

The vehicle is either MERCEDES BENZ VITO 115 or bigger. I guess you can take 2 bikes. If anyone have the same plan and direction and would like to go with me, please give me a message.

I have created an Excel sheet with all known information which I have. I hope these are up to date.
    Advance thanks to all who have already planned and organized something, really great.
    What else is to do and could I take something?

The Excel list I have added includes also a list of participants. At the moment we are 22 drivers. I think it would not bad to add the mobile no., just in case someone gets lost on the tour 😉 .

Regards
    Eric

CG and I have decided to propose a new campsite for the first night, and thus a new route for the first two days. take a look at the route, it has been a little shorter, and is closer to the coast-
    The new camp is Glennetangen Feriesenter

-Per

Jimm
    Keymaster

For those without access to a GPS or Mapping program that accepts GPX or KML files, here are links to Google Maps for these routes:

Day 1 – https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwbIrnwn_RIFSkl1WEJZaXJHQ28/edit?usp=sharing
    Day 2 – https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwbIrnwn_RIFRFFtUDRJRWJYdzQ/edit?usp=sharing

chris123
    Participant

@jimm: Thank you for linking up to the Google files. I could not download the Zip data.
    I take it that we will not go to the Lilleström campsite on the first day but instead to the newly mentioned campsite.
    I have checked with Google Maps, it is a trip of roughly 70 km. That means that we might not be able to see much of Oslo but should better get on our way immediately after coming together at the water fountain. For me that is O.K.
    But could you probably give some informations about the inclinations on the two new routes, futhermore give the name of the campsite which we will reach on our second day ?
    Greets, Christoph.

Jimm
    Keymaster

I haven’t had much time to dig deeply into the route details. Perhaps Per, or someone else who has plotted the terrain, can weigh in with their impressions of inclinations, as well as the next day’s campsite?

Thomas
    Participant

Hello, the tour comes nearer. I looked at the tracks and have one little remark: After Goteborg (day4) to Kungsbacka the track goes on a 4-lane motorway. I suppose, it is not allowed for VMs. I looked fpr an alternative and attache it.
    See you, Thomas
    Hello,

Velostrada
    Participant

Hello, Thomas.
    Where is it the route is running at a 4 lane motorway, if you mean out of Göteborg it`s on a smal road besides the motorway and railway
    Regards
    Søren aka velostarda

Velostrada
    Participant

No tekst..

Halfdan
    Participant

I have talked to the guys at Velomobilcenter.dk, just outside of Copenhagen, and they offered to make us a BBQ, and we could stay the night at their place.
    It means that on day 5, when we supposed to arrive at Copenhagen, we take the tour to Toppenvad instead, just 25 km outside of Copenhagen. We don’t have to do it all together, but how many are interested?
    We can decide and discuss it when we meet in Oslo and then I will notify Velomobilcenter.dk
    /Halfdan

Jimm
    Keymaster

thanks, Halfdan! sounds like a good idea to me!

I have made two new routes if we follow Halfdan’s proposal to visit Velomobilcenter. One from Helsingor to Velomobilcenter and one from Velomobilcenter to Gedser. If we take this route we will not get to Copenhagen on the tour.

Jimm
    Keymaster

Per, bear in mind that camping will most likely be done at the Bellahoj camping site (/ Hvidkildevej 66, 2400 Copenhagen) which is in the west side of Copenhagen. So a ride out to the Velmobilcenter could come either before or after a ‘swing-by’ tour of the city. That will depend on what people want to see.

Alternatively, people can do the Velomobilcenter barbecue on Tuesday evening after setting up their tents in Bellahøj, and then we swing through Copenhagen (maybe stop at the city hall if it’s not too hot or crowded) just before heading south towards Køge/Vordinborg and the ferry at Gedser.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The forum ‘EuroTour2014: Oslo to Berlin’ is closed to new topics and replies.

NextGEN Public Uploader by WebDevStudios

Skip to toolbar